Cabbage is a popular vegetable that is widely grown in home gardens and commercial fields. However, it is susceptible to a range of diseases that can significantly reduce crop yields and even kill plants. Cabbage diseases are caused by various factors such as fungi, bacteria, viruses, and insects, and can affect different parts of the plant. Some common cabbage diseases include blackleg, clubroot, mosaic virus, and whitefly infestations. The symptoms of cabbage diseases vary depending on the specific condition but may include leaf yellowing, wilting, stunted growth, and rot. Proper identification of the disease and timely control measures are crucial to prevent the spread of the infection and save the cabbage plants. In this article, we will take a closer look at the causes, symptoms, and control options for important cabbage diseases to help you keep your cabbage patch healthy and productive.
1. Cabbage Root Rot Disease:
This disease is caused by the fungus Aphanomyces raphani.
What Are The Symptoms of Root Rot Disease?
- Water-soaked spots can be seen around the base of the affected plant.
- White fungus at the base and sometimes the seeds of mustard-like fungi are found.
- Roots rot, saplings fall and trees die.
- If the soil and surface of the soil become hard during Satya, the incidence of disease increases.
- The disease is soil-borne and spreads through the soil, infected plants, and water.
How To Control Root Rot Disease?
- Provide moderate irrigation and adequate organic fertilizers and maintain a good drainage system.
- Apply Mustard Cake at the rate of 1.2 kg/ 435 square feet. This is the best organic fertilizer.
- Iprodione or carbendazim group fungicides 2 gm per liter of water and sprayed and soaked with soil.
- Use per 8 kg/ 435 square feet Tricho-compost in the seed bed.
- Treat the seeds by mixing 2 grams of Carbendazim per kg of seeds before sowing.
- Apply Dolochun at the rate of four kg percent in case of red soil or acidic soil (once in three years).
- Before sowing seeds, spread and burn dry wood dust 3 inches thick on the seed bed or in the field.
- Soil Solarization – Covering the soil with polythene during sunlight.
- Do not grow cabbage crops in areas that are shaded most of the day.
2. Cabbage Yellow Virus Disease:
It is one of the common cabbage diseases. Most cabbage growers are affected by this disease.
It is a viral disease. Caused by the infestation of virus-carrying insects (Thrips).
What Are The Symptoms of Cabbage Yellow Virus?
- If this disease occurs, the leaf turns yellow.
- Most attacks do not produce edible parts of the plant.
How To Control?
- Keeping the field clean.
- Disinfection of used agricultural equipment.
- Remove affected plants. Sow seeds early.
- Use balanced fertilizers.
- Do not cultivate coppice crops repeatedly on the same land.
3. Cabbage Leaf Black Spot Disease:
What Are The Symptoms?
- First, the leaf gets yellow spots and later turns black.
- If the spots coalesce, the entire leaf is damaged.
- Disease germs are spread by air.
How To Control Cabbage Leaf Black Spot?
- The field should be kept clean.
- Diseased leaves should be picked up and buried in the ground or destroyed by burning.
- If the attack is more frequent, mix 2 grams of iprodione fungicide per liter of water and spray 3 times after 12 days.
- Seeds should be sown in advance.
- Balanced fertilizers should be used.
- The seeds should be cleaned before sowing. In this case, 2 grams of iprodione fungicide should be mixed with 1 kg of seeds.
4. Cabbage Drooping Disease:
Fusarium spp.This disease is caused by a fungal attack.
What Are The Symptoms?
- At the base of the seedling, water-soaked spots of brown color can be seen in the part adjacent to the soil.
- The fungus grows rapidly in areas affected by humid and damp weather.
- Within 2 days of the attack, the seedling droops, and white cotton-like mycelium and mustard-seed-like sclerotia appear on the affected parts.
How To Control Drooping Disease of Cabbage?
- Seedlings were planted using 1 kg Tricho-compost in 3 m × 1 m seed beds.
- 8-10 days before planting the saplings on the mainland, apply 10-12 kg of Tricho compost fertilizer per 435 SqF to the soil of the bed and mix it well with the soil and soak it with irrigation.
- If the soil is suitable for planting seedlings, the soil should be well turned over and the soil clod should be broken and the seedlings should be planted.
- Tricho-leachate was mixed with water at the rate of 20 ml/liter and sprayed on the plants every 10-15 days as a disease control during the growing stage of the crop.
5. Alternaria Spot or Blight Disease:
This disease is caused by Alternaria brassicae and Alternaria brassicicola.
What Are The Symptoms?
- It causes small round spots on the leaves during the middle of the season. The spots are large and light brown round or uneven in shape.
- The spots appear as a series of rings or concentric circles.
- Alternaria brassicae attacks the leaves in the late season causing small dark brown or black spots.
- Cabbage and cauliflower seeds infested with Alternaria develop numerous dark round spots later in the crop.
- The seed becomes shriveled, the yield is reduced and the germinability of the affected seeds is lost.
How To Control Alternaria Bligh Disease?
- Burning of the abandoned crop.
- Cleaning the seeds before seedling. In this case, 2 grams of iprodione fungicide should be mixed with 1 kg of seeds.
- applying 30 kg of sulfur and 1 kg of boron per hectare increases the disease resistance of plants.
- Iprodione fungicide at the rate of 2 grams per liter of water should be sprayed 3 times after 12 days.
By following all the guidelines discussed above for the control management of common Cabbage diseases, Those diseases can be easily prevented. The best is prevention. We must first consider environmentally friendly ways to control crop diseases. We need to increase our reliance on Integrated Disease Management (IDM) for disease control and make such updated technologies available to farmers.
Because prevention is better than cure. Contact us if you have any questions about this disease after reading the article. You can Submit samples of any crop problem to our expert team, which will be resolved within 24 hours.